Have your students participate in an incredible project that crosses borders with technology and creativity.
Or bring cutting-edge professional development centering on global education to your teachers.
Are you an educator outside of the United States who would like to involve students in an international project with Blue Planet’s American students? We’re always looking for new schools and organizations to partner with our local classes! Participation for non-USA partners is always free of charge. Get in touch with us by using our contact form here. We look forward to hearing from you!
Need more information about any of our programs? Call us at (561) 425-5534…or use our contact form here. We’re always happy to answer questions or help you plan a great workshop experience for students or teachers.
Story Ambassadors: Creative International Student Collaboration
In the Story Ambassadors program, one of our teaching artists works with one of your teachers, one hour a week for 12 weeks, to create an exciting, meaningful collaboration between a group of your students and a group of their peers in another country.
We customize each program to fit into your teacher’s existing curriculum. And we handle the logistics of the international collaboration, from connecting your students to their partners overseas to producing a final project that showcases your students’ hard work. Each Story Ambassadors initiative includes:
- 12 weekly, one-hour workshops during school hours
- A highly experienced, professional teaching artist to plan and teach beside your teacher
- Participation of age-matched international partners
- Video exchanges between groups–and, when time zones allow, an “in-person” Skype session between your group and their international partners
- A final project that may take the form of a book, video, performance, or other creative “product”
- An author reading or performance by your group during the school day–invite parents and other classes!
- All materials used in the project
- Leave-behind lesson plans and activities
For grades 3-12 (approximate ages 8-18)
Group size limited to one class
The cost of the Story Ambassadors 12-week program is $2500.
The Hometown Stories international writing project can take place across five weekly workshops or during one incredibly creative, intensive week of writing and art-making for your students or community group. Participants will write and make art about their hometowns, revise and shape their work for publication, and see their tales become part of a Story Map on a dedicated Hometown Stories page on Blue Planet’s website. The project includes:
- 5 two-hour workshops (after school or evenings/weekends)
- Two highly experienced professionals to lead the workshops: a teaching writer and a teaching artist
- Publication of stories and artwork on the international Hometown Stories webpage
- An author reading by your group
- All writing materials, art supplies, and other materials used in the project
- For teenagers and adults
Group size limited to 25
After school or evenings/weekends
The cost of the Hometown Stories program is $2000.
Professional Development Workshops
Blue Planet Writers’ Room can bring excellent professional development centered on global competence to your teachers. Our unique approach centers on using writing and the arts
- to establish common ground between students from different cultures
- to teach American students about other cultures and countries
- to teach overseas partners about what it means to be American
Our global education experts will lead your teachers in hands-on workshops, side-by-side teaching sessions, and observed solo teaching, providing guidance and feedback.
Teachers will learn to use writing and the arts to create dynamic global projects and international story exchanges. They’ll learn how to teach their students about the world by using technology to connect them to their peers in other countries. All this while satisfying curriculum objectives and meeting state standards.
Rich, replicable lesson plans and teaching materials will give teachers immediate resources for globally themed lessons as well as inspiration for creating their own lessons and curricula.
Begin with a three-hour workshop to get a taste of how meaningful—and fun—global education can be. Or let us build a comprehensive global education program for your school. Contact us to learn more about what we can do for your teachers and students.
For enthusiastic educators of students aged 8-adult
Group size limited to 40
During or after school hours, evenings, weekends
The cost of professional development is $500 for a three-hour workshop; contact us for pricing information for longer initiatives or larger groups.
Each year, Blue Planet hosts a weekend-long Summer Institute centered on using the arts and creative writing to connect students across borders and teach them about the world. Hands-on workshops, museum visits, games and simulations, creative presentations, and casual receptions immerse participants in a fun, collegial atmosphere filled with learning, sharing, and lots of “wow” moments!
Global education experts from the US present and lead workshops in person, while their international colleagues present remotely. Participants take home lots of resources, lesson plans, activity ideas, and inspiration to integrate global education into their own classrooms. The sessions are appropriate for teachers, teaching artists, cultural educators, professors, and grad students.
More information can be found on the Summer Institute page; details are added each year as plans develop.